Friday, May 20, 2011

RIP Macho Man - 1952-2011

 

Like so many other people I was saddened to hear about the passing of Macho Man Randy Savage. According to TMZ it sounds like the former WWE champion had a heart attack while driving and got into an automobile accident.

I grew up and still to a certain extent am a pretty big wrestling fan. I don’t watch WWE every week anymore but when I was a kid I never missed a single episode of Superstars, Saturday Night’s Main Event, or Wrestlemania.

My all time favorite WWE event is still Wrestlemania IV from 1988. This was the event where Savage beat four other wrestlers in a tournament to win his first ever WWE championship. Savage went through Butch Reed, Greg Valentine, One Man Gang, then finally one of my other favorite wrestlers, the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase.

I remember my dad rented this for me to watch with my friends during my 9th birthday party. My friends and I knew who won the belt but we still loved all four hours of the event. 

A lot of people like to make fun of wrestling but for me these guys were superhero’s. As a scrawny & short kid who wasn’t that good at sports these guys could do things that I only dreamed of being able to do one day.

Rest in peace Macho Man. I know you’re walking down that aisle in heaven with Miss Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment