Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Sleaze File - Christine Sixteen

Welcome to the first entry into The Sleaze File. The Sleaze File looks at the sleaziest in movies, music, and TV. The first entry is brought to you by the King of Sleaze, Gene Simmons. Behold the sleaziness of KISS' Christine Sixteen!

I love having satellite radio in my car. I can't stand regular FM radio with their April Wine ticket giveaway's, bland commercials, and people calling in with their shitty traffic tips. Plus the music selection is pretty terrible, unless you count hearing "ET" by Katy Perry four times in an hour your idea of a good time.

One of the things that I love about satellite radio is getting to hear music that you don't get to hear very often. The other morning while driving to work I flipped it by the Boneyard which plays classic hard rock. I didn't recognize the song at first but I quickly recognized Gene Simmons on vocals. I do like KISS but for some reason had never heard this song before.

I quickly raised an eyebrow when I heard the chorus shout:
Christine sixteen, Christine sixteen

Excuse me?!? Then a very creepy Gene Simmons whispers:
I don't normally say things like this to girls your age, but when I say you
Coming out of the school that day, that day I knew, I knew, I've got to have
You, I've got to have you

Seriously!?! I knew 1977 was sleazy but this seemed really wrong for the coke fuelled late 70's. It actually turns out that some radio stations refused to play the song and those who did didn't play it until after 7pm. The song was released on the 1977 album "Love Gun" and ended up reaching number 25 on the Billboard Top100 in the US. Funny enough the highest it would reach on a chart was in Canada at number 22 ("O Canada...").

I just can't imagine one of today's biggest bands like the Foo Fighters releasing a song about wanting to tap someone who's in the eleventh grade.

It's kind of ironic that KISS was dumped from playing at a Michael Jackson tribute concert earlier today after it was revealed that Gene Simmons thought that Michael Jackson was a pedophile (didn't we all though..).

Now for your sleazy listening pleasure here is Christine Sixteen by KISS.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a KISS fan going waaaayy back. Doesn't the guitar riff sound similar to the 80's song Funky Cold Medina by Tone Loc?

    It should... Tone Loc blatantly ripped it off from Christine Sixteen. KISS sued and won a fair amount of money from it if I remember right.

    SD
    TheSimpleDude.com

    ReplyDelete