Friday, June 10, 2011

The Goonies + Cloverfield + Close Encounters = Super 8

One of my most anticipated movies this summer (see here) was the J.J. Abrams directed "Super 8". As I mentioned earlier the trailer had a lot movie nerds like me buzzing this last year since so little was revealed about the film in the preview. Since we live in a world where trailers pretty much give entire plots away it was nice to go into a film not knowing what to expect.

I had the privilege of seeing a preview screening a few days before it opened. I'm not going to ruin the entire movie but the basic plot revolves around a group of friends in junior high who get together to film a zombie movie. While filming at a train station they're witness to a crash that nearly kills them and unleashes a mysterious creature on the town. Of course before long people and objects around their small town start to go missing.

Even though you don't see it in the trailer you do end up seeing the creature. Yes they did a great job on the visual effects but ultimately this movie really isn't about the mysterious beast. In fact some of the moments that reveal it later in the film are probably the weakest moments of the movie.

This movie is all about growing up. Several of the main children characters in the film (played great by Elle Fanning, Joel Courtney, and Riley Griffiths) have different obstacles and realities that they have to face. Not only are they forced to grow up quickly but so do some of the adult characters played by the underrated Kyle Chandler and Ron Eldard.

The movie takes place during the summer of 1979. Steven Spielberg was one of the producers and it truly feels like you're watching something from him like "ET" or "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". For those like me who grew up in the 70's and 80's this movie will be extra touching for you. The scenes that I enjoyed the most  were with the group of kids as they made their movie. As a movie fan my whole life I couldn't help bu think back to a time when all I wanted to do was make a movie. As a matter of fact when I was a teenager I had looked into going to several film schools.

I never did go to film school or make movies for a living but after watching this movie it made me realize that it's never too late to follow your dream. Yes, we all grow up but that doesn't mean that you should never stop chasing your goals. Thank you Mr. Abrams and Mr. Spielberg for not only making an original Summer movie but thank you for reminding this film nerd why he's so passionate about movies.

Super 8 - A-

No comments:

Post a Comment